Italian Wedding Soup December 23 2015, 0 Comments
Serves 6 to 8
- 10 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup yellow onion, minced
- 1 lb. escarole
- 2 to 3 tbsp. Cucina Antica Imported Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Other diced vegetables of your choice
- 8 oz. ground beef
- 8 oz. ground pork
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- Ground pepper
In a large bowl, combine onion, bread crumbs, parsley, egg, garlic and salt and pepper. Stir in ground meat and cheese until well combined. Using your hands or a teaspoon, shape the meat into 1 inch balls.
Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, until cooked through and lightly browned. For the soup, heat 2 tbsp. Cucina Antica Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a deep soup bowl. Add the onion and escarole and other vegetables and saute until tender, about 6 or 8 minutes.
Add the chicken stock and white wine and bring to a boil. Add the pasta to the boiling broth and cook until nearly tender, about 5 minutes. Add the meatballs and let simmer for a few minutes to let the flavors blend. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve with extra grated Pecorino Romano cheese.